Montreal fishing spots

Montreal fishing spots

Montreal shore fishing spots click here.

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Fishing brown trout Adirondacks New York

 Made it back to New York again for the second time in a week, this time to fish for brown trout, in the Adirondacks, with my friend Jimmy. For this trip, we would be wading one of the many rivers in the Adirondack region of upstate New York, that get annually stocked with brown or rainbow trout, sometimes both. 

After checking the stocking dates and weather for a couple weeks, we settled on a spot that had a good quantity of both 8 to 11 and 12 to 16 inch brown trout stocked last week. The spot is also downstream of another similar stocking on the same river, that took place 2 weeks ago, further upstream. We were hoping that the stocked trout would have washed down to a couple spot with some decent wading in moderate current.

After getting our New York state fishing licenses online, we crossed into the USA and headed to our first target spot. Jimmy and I both started with spinners, and sure enough, Jimmy started landing fish after fish, mainly in the 9 to 10 inch range. I followed suit, and landed my first brown trout of the day.


Jimmy then caught a solid 13 incher, first one of that size class. 


I caught one in that size range as well, shortly after.


I eventually tied on a Jointed Rapala (j9) lure, and caught some more trout on it. Was hoping for something bigger, and was surprised by this feisty 15 inch fallfish.


It had me excited for a bit, as I thought I had a big brown until I got it out of the strong current...

Jimmy then landed the biggest fish of the day, a superb 16 inch brown trout, just about the upper size limit that they stock.


The big surprises of the day, were not only a whopping 50+ brown trout landed, but the number of brown trout in the 12 to 13 inch range, which are stocked in much lower numbers. I guess we timed the trip perfectly.

Seems the rules have also changed as far as keeping trout from that river. The bag limit is 3 trout per person, with only 1 exceeding 12 inches. As we kept out limits, I'm looking forward to enjoying some of the brown trout over the next couple days.




No comments: