Montreal fishing spots

Montreal fishing spots

Montreal shore fishing spots click here.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fishing around Montreal in summer

Summer has finally kicked in after much unseasonably wet weather. Water levels are starting to drop slightly, although still higher than normal in many areas. Surface temperature are near their peaks, and will likely start to drop in the next couple weeks or so.

So far this summer, I haven't done much fishing for species other than carp since returning from our bass fishing vacation up North at the end of June. Not that I have anything against predatory species, simply haven't got around to targeting pike, walleye or trout at all, and the few bass outings I put in, were very specific to topwater fishing by bike no less.

Carp fishing has been better than average so far this summer. Last couple outings yielded triple and quadruple hookups, for the first time ever, and most outings are yielding between 15-25 carp hooked.











While fishing for big numbers of carp is great, I also like to put in some time fishing for trophy sized carp. My wife beat her 2 week old personal best with another monster carp, this one weighed in at a whopping 34 lbs. Imagine she was closer to 40 lbs a few weeks earlier before the spawn!


Due to the new bait fish prohibition in Quebec that forbids the use of live or dead bait fish, I haven't bothered targeting channel catfish at all this season. Still, we do get some mid size cats on boilies when carp fishing slows down.



Been doing a decent amount of biking to stay in shape, and have been bringing along a light bass rod with topwater lures to hit some spots during my ride to different areas in Montreal. Pop R is one of my all time favorites.



And a real nice smallmouth bass, biggest bass of the season so far for me, also caught topwater fishing on a Pop R.


Only boat outing I have done after my trip up North has been with my friend and number one musky guide, Mike. Brought my 15 year old son Levi along hoping for him to catch his first musky. He hit it out of the park with back to back 50 inch trophy muskies, caught minutes apart.




Subsequent musky fishing trips with Mike were productive, but size didn't compare to Levi's catches.




Hope to add some more nice pics as the summer goes on.

No comments: