Montreal fishing spots

Montreal fishing spots

Montreal shore fishing spots click here.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Good Carp fishing with the family

Was lucky enough to be able to pull off a couple more session this week, although they were short ones. Got to try some new products and rigs, with decent success.

For my first session, I brought along my sons Ari and Eli, ages 17 and 7. We set up 3 rods, 1 using curry/ginger boilies, the next using chocolate/cinnamon, the 3rd using vanilla/hazelnut. Didn't take long for us to start catching carp, we were hooking up roughly every 1/2 hour, though nothing too big. Abut halfway through our session, I tried 2 new rigs. The first, was using a couples pieces of giant corn I had been given to try, along with a popup chilli/lime corn.


The second ones was a modified snowman rig, using 2 boilies followed by a popup chilli/lime corn.


Didn't take long, my sons landed our first double header of the season:




Total of 10 carp hooked, 9 landed in 5 hours, as one cut my hair rig in the rocks.

Returned for another carping session with my wife the following day, again, had only 5 hours to fish. Plan was to test whether or not the snowman rig would help us land bigger carp than a single boilie on the hair rig. Fish the first 2.5 hours using the standard boilie rig, hooked 7 carp, one spit the hook just before I had the chance to net it. My wife and I managed another double header, second one in as many days.


Again, nothing too big, all in the 10-14 lbs range. As we were halfway through our session, I switched both rods to the modified snowman rig that worked the previous day. Unfortunately, not one hit in 1.5 hours. I decided to bring in both lines. Switched one back to the standard boilie setup. For the second line, I rigged the largest boilie I have ever used, a whopping 26 mm XXX hot my son had rolled with leftover base mix. Added a popup chilli/lime corn as well. Didn't take 20 minutes, I had nice one on. Put up a good fight, realized how big it was once it was in the net.


A nice 28 lbs / 38.5 inch female, I'm sure she was a good 5 lbs heavier a few weeks ago before the spawn. Day ended off with the last line being cut off above my 80 lbs mono shock with a blistering carp run.

Looks like I probably done with carp for the next few weeks, as we're off to trout country...

No comments: