The Freshwater Phil guide to Montreal shore fishing spots

Montreal's best shore fishing spots

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shore Fishing heatwaves

Shore fishing around Montreal during heatwaves can be tough. As I don't own a boat anymore, and my buddy's boat has been stuck in the shop for the past month, I've got no other choice than to make due with what I can.

Since the massive heat wave at the start of July, fishing for big channel catfish has been the slowest I've ever experienced. I've been out a number of times with my wife, the kids and some friends. Despite fishing a variety of popular baits such as live & dead minnow, worms, chicken liver, and chicken hearts, we've been getting skunked time after time.

Carping has been slow as well, though I did manage a small 8 lb carp and missed another on the one outing I've done so far in July.



Pike have been better, though they are a lot smaller than usual. I managed a couple under 2 lbs during an evening outing with my wife, as well as 3 more in the 2.5- 3 lbs range on a 1/2 day trip with my son.



I have some more fishing planned, probably for carp, pike and possibly trout in the next week or two. I'll keep y'all updated.

No comments: