Montreal fishing spots

Montreal fishing spots

Montreal shore fishing spots click here.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My son's biggest carp

Took my 14 year old son Ari for a day or carp fishing, as I haven't been carping since last season. We headed out the the Long Sault area, and I was surprised to find the water level a bit higher than normal, in contrast to the extremely low water levels East of the Cornwall dam.

There were a number of people fishing for carp when we arrived, one was landing one just as we got out of the car. We didn't get any of the spots I hoped for as they were already taken, so we had to chum from scratch. We set up one line with corn as hookbait and the other with a boilie on a hair rig. We chummed with corn, boilies and some specialized carp pellets.

The carp fishing was a slower than expected, took 2.5 hours to get the first hit on the boilie. As my son set the hook, his reaction was "this one's big". It gave a nice fight with many hard runs, and pick up some floating weeds patches on the way, so the rod was bent over in half for most of the battle. He finally landed it, it weighed in at 18.5 lbs. A friend of mine had asked me to bring back a large one for him to try smoking, so we kept it.


About 1.5 hours later, the hookbait line takes off, somehow the fish managed to slice my 50 lb Power Pro before I even had a chance for a hookset, something that's never happened to me with that line before, as it's generally the best line when it comes to fishing big carp in the rocks.

As our plan was to target pike as well, so we switched to lures after 3:30 PM. We hit some different spots, didn't manage any pike, but caught some largemouth bass up to 3 lbs on a variety of lures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I caught my first carp this weekend. What a blast...I was saying to my girlfriend that Carp fishing is perfect for getting kids into fishing. (as long as you can hold onto them if the fish pulls too much haha)