The Freshwater Phil guide to Montreal shore fishing spots

Montreal's best shore fishing spots

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Meeting the conservation officer while carping

Kids are off school and off camp for 2 weeks, so I get to keep them out of trouble. Handling them all too much is too much, so I decided to take them for outings in pairs. I started off by taking Ari and Avi to the Long Sault area for some carp fishing. We arrived at about 10:30 AM to find strong 20 KM / hour North winds blowing in a cold front. The carp weren’t very active, we ended up catching only one in about 5 hours. We eventually headed back to town, stopped for some Panfish at the Soulanges Canal where the kids managed a bunch of Pumpkinseed and Bluegill sunfish as well as some perch.

The interesting part of the day came when I turned around and noticed a MNR conservation officer in full uniform and gear (including gun) watching me from behind. I had 3 lines in the water at the time, and he didn't see my kids around the bend so he must have thought he had me on a multiple rod charge until my kids showed up again. After checking my license, we chatted for a bit about fishing the area. He refused to take a picture with me, even though I offered to "make him famous" online. Too bad, I would have liked to post it. He gave my kids some "sample" fishing licenses and was on his way. This was the first time I have ever been spot checked in Ontario, what makes it weird is that it was on a weekday. Anyway, glad to see our license fees are going to good use and that they actually have people working the area.

No comments: